Friday, May 16, 2008

Reading Frenzy

It all started innocently enough when I went to Seagull Book & Tape to buy a Mother's Day gift for my mom. I had walked by the Twilight display many other times before, but this time, they had the book on paperback. I'm not a fan of vampire stories. I started reading one of Anne Rice's books a few years ago and it gave me the creeps to the point that I couldn't get past the first chapter. But many of the ladies in my ward had raved about this book, so I thought why not?

I don't think this had happened since I read the last book of the Harry Potter series. I was Sucked In. For those who haven't read the book, it is about a teenager named Bella who moves to Forks, WA to live with her dad, and ends up meeting and falling in love with a vampire. A vampire who looks like a cute 17-year-old but acts like someone from the late 19th or early 20th century. In the words of Orson Scott Card: "...Who would have thought it? Today, Mr. Darcy is a vampire."

The book was written by Stephenie Meyer, an LDS mom of 3 from Glendale, AZ, and it is so enthralling and addictive that, even though I had put myself on the local library's list to check out the following two books (New Moon and Eclipse), I couldn't wait that long so I downloaded them. Yes, I downloaded them from the internet. I'm an evil, evil woman!

Anyway, just like with Harry Potter, the movie based on the book is already in the works. Here's the trailer...


5 comments:

Amanda said...

That is so funny, because I recently gave in and also read "Twilight". Couldn't put it down and afterwards I looked up on the internet what happens in the rest of the books! I am not into vampire books and really didn't want to read it, but it was so good!!

Michelle said...

I am so glad that you liked Twilight! The other two are so good as well! And I'm sure you know, but the 4th one comes out in August and I cannot wait!!!! She also just put The Host out and I LOVED it too! You'll have to check it out!

Joe and Joanne said...

Hmmm...that looks captivating. I may have to put my camera down for a while and actually pick up that book!

Vanesa said...

Amanda, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who just HAD to find out what happened after the end of Twilight =).

Michelle, I saw the pictures you posted on your blog about the Stephenie Meyer book discussion at Thanksgiving Point. It's so great that you had a chance to meet two of your favorite authors in the same weekend (and don't worry, you may have turned into a book nerd, I have always BEEN one!)

Joanne, hope you enjoy Twilight when you decide to read it. As a side note...did you recognize the boy in the video I posted? ;)

Joe and Joanne said...

Yes - indeed I did. Cedric, from Harry Potter 4. :)
He's such a looker!