Saturday, September 06, 2008

The keyword is "cooperation"


I had heard about co-ops before, but always associated the word with the little markets that sell locally grown products, or the community farms that grow produce and share it within a group of families. This all changed a year ago. Two sisters in our ward suggested creating a Babysitting Co-op. I had no idea such a thing existed!

These ladies had both been part of a co-op before and offered to be the ones to set it up. They created calendars, "tickets" (no money is exchanged, only babysitting hours) and medical release forms. I signed up, but was skeptical at the beginning. Would I have enough tickets when I needed them? What if Amber or I got sick on a day I was supposed to watch kids? Would Amber do ok going to different houses with so many different kids of different ages?

Fast forward a year... I couldn't be happier. Co-op is a great fit for my line of work. I usually work (outside the home) only 1 or 2 days a week and there has always been someone available to watch Amber. I've enjoyed having kids over at our house and Amber loves her Co-op friends. There are "free" days built into the calendar, when nobody has a co-op shift scheduled, just so people can pick up extra shifts if they'll need tickets later on. And last but not least, co-op has given me a chance to get to know some wonderful ladies in our ward.


3 comments:

Amanda said...

That sounds so fabulous. I'd be interested in finding out the details of how it works. Could you email me about it?

Joe and Joanne said...

What a great idea! I have never heard of that before. What a wonderful way to help the little ones socialize more too.
Amber is adorable - I love her little outfit in the picture on this post. Such a sweetie!

Nate and Lana Hope said...

Hey! It's fun to have co-op when you need it! It was a life saver a few years ago when I needed sitters when Trenton didn't want to be dragged around to Spencer's appointments! It was awesome! Glad your having fun! :)