Thursday, January 24, 2013

Juliana

Where do I start with little Juliana.  Maybe I should start with her name.  It's a name that has become increasingly popular in the last few years, but that's not the reason we chose it.   It's because of this lovely woman, my paternal great-grandmother.  

Great-grandma Julia (Juliana) - photo taken at a studio in Temesvar
I have always had a bit o f a fascination with Grandma Julia.  I only met her when I was 6, and she passed away shortly after, a week short of her 100th birthday, but I've asked my parents time and again to tell me the story of how she and Great-grandpa Joszef moved from Germany to Temesvar (now Timisoara, Romania) and then decided to emmigrate to Argentina. As I grew up, I also became very familiar with some of the harder moments in her life.  She had several children (7, I believe) , but only 3 of them survived it beyond infancy.  She also lost her husband in her 40's.  Thanks to one my grandpa's sisters, there is a brief history of Julia and her family as they left their homeland and raised their family in a new country.  I haven't been able to find any information about her parents or her family, but so many family history records are released every year that I'm sure I'll find something one of these days.

Juliana posing (cheeky girl)
 Going back to her great-great-granddaughter, Juliana is very sweet.  She's very cuddly, especially with her dad.  Very much a daddy's girl, like her older sister. She has round, beautifully expressive eyes. She's a bit shy around strangers but warms up after a while and loves to flirt once she's comfortable with someone.  She's quite vocal  and has learned quite a few words already:  Mom, Papi, where are you? (weh ah youhh), tummy, kitty, banana (which she uses for any type of food) and fishy.  She also loves to dance, sometimes at inappropriate moments.  Just a few weeks ago, we were in church, singing  a hymn, and she thought that was great dancing music :)  Same thing with the National Anthem during the presidential inauguration.

Great-grandma would love this little namesake of hers.  


No comments: