Monday, December 22, 2008

A Season of Gratitude

Yes, I know that as I post this, it is the evening of December 22nd, 2 days until Christmas, and I'm just now getting to blog about Thanksgiving. I would tell you why, but I already did, so if you really want to know, go here.

Continuing with our Holiday Flashback, we spent Thanksgiving at Stan and Leslie's home (Stan is one of Andrew's older brothers). They just moved to Kimberly, ID (near Twin Falls) and were gracious enough to host Thanksgiving dinner and let us stay with them for a couple of nights.

Forgive the lack of actual dinner pictures, but I was part of the preparation / feeding of a 2-year-old / cleaning crew, so my pictures were mostly limited to time spent playing, hanging out, etc.
Amber going for a "hike" after dinner

Sisters-in-law: Leslie and daughter Jessica (right) and Jenn

The unveiling of the turkey piƱata (made by Stan, Leslie, Justin and Jessica)

Joey gets a good swing at it

First, the head and a leg came off the turkey.
The boys (Ethan, Joey and Justin, from left) ponder what to do with them.
The head was later stomped, to the delight of all boys present.

Diving in for goodies

The boys, surveying their loot.
Click on the picture to see Ethan's (second from left) orderly row of Hershey Kisses.

Lest you think it was all fun and games, t
here is a reason I chose the title for this post, and here are the things for which I'm grateful this year:
  • Health: Our entire family has had a quite uneventful year, as far illness and doctor's visits are concerned.
  • Love: We've spent time with family and kept in touch with friends.
  • Our ward / the Gospel: We have been very blessed for the past three and 1/2 years, to be part of a loving, united ward. Our friends, leaders, home and visiting teachers have shared with us the pure love of Christ.
  • Work / self sufficiency: At a time when many people are losing jobs or homes, we have been able to keep both, and I was even blessed to have a job fall right in my lap, and to have a friend care for Amber while I go to work.

Every year, when Thanksgiving comes around, these words (from a song by Don Henley) come into my mind:

I've got great expectations
I've got family and friends
I've got satisfying work
I've got a back that bends
For every breath, for every day of living
This is my Thanksgiving

For every moment of joy
Every hour of fear
For every winding road that brought me here
For every breath, for every day of living
This is my Thanksgiving

For everyone who helped me start
And for everything that broke my heart
For every breath, for every day of living
This is my Thanksgiving

No comments: